Friday, November 2, 2007

My First NaNoWriMo

I've started writing for NaNoWriMo. If you aren't familiar with it, check it out here.

It's a challenge to write 50,000 words in one month. For some that seems like an impossibility and for others, it's a piece of cake. For me, it depends on the day of the week. Sometimes the words flow like a flood and others I can't get a complete sentence out. The first day I wrote over 3,000 words, so far today I think I've done another 2,000, but I know that pace won't continue non stop.

Writing is very difficult on the weekends for me. I have too many people vying for my attention and none of them seem to understand that I am busy when I'm typing. My family doesn't really get that I'm actually doing something that requires concentration. Well, at least until I bite their heads off, figuratively speaking of course, and then they all tip toe around me. Of course that isn't much better since they do it in such a way to get my attention so I can see how cute and considerate they are trying to be. It makes writing next to impossible.

I started this project out of the blue. I didn't have anything thought out ahead of time, in fact, I thought I'd be finishing up my WIP, but when I opened the laptop and started to type a whole new story emerged and I just let it flow. I have no idea when I'll get back to the other piece. For now, I'm well intrenched in this paranormal romance. It's amazing how these things just start to flow for me. It will be even more amazing when I manage to complete the 50,000 word mark.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ellie, good luck in making that goal! I'll be cheering for ya. I saw you were just at Magical and wanted to say hi!

Edie Ramer said...

Hey, Ellie, I'll echo LaDonna's good luck wishes. You can do it!