Tuesday, December 4, 2007

The Last Month of the Year

Welcome to December!

I finished NaNoWriMo with just over 72,000 words on my novel. I actually was writing all the way up to midnight and got closer to 74K, but it was 12:02 when I paused, too late to add to my final word count on NaNo. That's okay though. I had a blast, learned a lot and wrote what I think is a pretty good book. Of course, I haven't gone back and re-read it yet, well not much of it anyway, but still, I think it has potential. I know there are spots I need to add more to and probably others that need things taken away, always a difficult thing, but I'll be working on it this month, and preparing it for submission for next month. I hope.

My friends at The Midnight Hour had a post regarding goals for 2008, and it got me thinking. What happened to my goals from 2007? What were they? Where did I write them down? Did I accomplish any of them? Can you tell I'm not terribly organized?

I don't really know what they were except one was to finish my first book and get it published. Well, I'm half way there. I finished my book, but I haven't gotten an acceptance letter yet. I have submitted it though, and that took a lot longer than I thought it would. Fear is a strange thing.

Perhaps whatever my other goals were, I might have accomplished them if I had them somewhere where I couldn't forget about them. A list stuck to my computer would be good, but it would drive my husband crazy and since we kind of share the machine, it's not really an option. Perhaps I could make the list the background for my desktop on the computer? Of course, like my real desktop, I rarely ever actually see the desktop. There are way too many things strewn about. I'll have to give it some thought and find a prominent place.

Well, I responded to Michelle Rowen's post, and then I thought of more goals. I came up with my own Top Ten Goals for 2008 and I'm posting them here so I can find them again as the year goes on and I can review them at the end of the year to see which ones I made and which ones I didn't, but of course, I'll succeed in them all and then I'll find some sinfully rich reward for myself, but not a huge box of Godiva Truffles, maybe only a small one or #9 won't happen.

My Top Ten Goals for 2008

1. Get an agent.
2. Do the editing on my NaNoWriMo book and submit it.
3. Keep submitting my 1st novel to get it published
4. Finish all three of my current WIP. (I can be a little ADD)
5. Paint my living room (it's been 20 years since it was last done)
6. Crochet the afghan I promised my 8 year old.
7. Finish creating a work area for my 8 year old in his room.
8. Keep my desk at least half cleared off (far reaching, but a girl can dream)
9. Lose another ten pounds (I really should lose 20, but I'm trying to be realistic here, especially after that last one)
10. Bake cookies or some fun thing with my kids every month (this is up from our current every 2-3 months)

So, there you have it my goals for 2008.

Have you thought about yours?

2 comments:

Jennifer Shirk said...

Gee, everybody is so good and posting goals.
I need to whip myself into shape and create some.

BernardL said...

Keep writing and editing, without neglecting my day-job, the fount from which all other endeavors are made possible. :)