Wednesday, December 3, 2008

National Novel Writing Month 2008 Victory!



Well. I did it. I wrote over 50,000 words in the month of November qualifying me as a winner of National Novel Writing Month 2008! Woot!

I enjoyed every minute of it. Well, most of it anyway. Of course, my brain is completely off in another world, making it difficult to answer basic every day questions, but I won. My final word count was 66,766. I was aiming for 70k, but didn't quite manage that. The story is now near completion and is slightly over 70K though. I'm hoping to wrap it up today or tomorrow. Christmas is coming and I need to shift gears.

The problem is I don't want the story to end. I've grown rather attached to these characters.

I hate it when that happens. This was supposed to be a one off novel. No series, no continuation, no ongoing drama. The characters seem to have something else in mind though. I suspect I'll be writing a second book following these characters, but for now, I will finish it. Then I'll set aside for a month or two and mentally remove myself from these characters before I go back and edit. Maybe in March.

7 comments:

Charles Gramlich said...

That's very cool. You deserve major congratulations for it. And it's so much fun when the story just seeps into you like that and you hate to leave the world. That's how I've felt writing the Talera books especially.

Spy Scribbler said...

Aww, I know what you mean. But that's a great sign!

Congratulations!

BernardL said...

Way to go, VL, and you're right, the characters are very hard to let go of. :)

Virginia Lady said...

Thanks for all the love, guys. I appreciate the support. This was a lot of fun this time and really helped since I have some major stress issues elsewhere in my life.

Jennifer Shirk said...

That's great! Congrats!!

Sepiru Chris said...

Congratulations, Virginia Lady!

Get some fish to replenish those neurons, some carrots for the eyes, a nice, big-nosed red to relax the heart!

Cheers for you,
Chris

Virginia Lady said...

Thank you Jennifer.

Excellent advice, Chris, thanks!