Friday, September 26, 2008

Quote of The Week

"The strength of the Constitution lies entirely in the determination of each citizen to defend it. Only if every single citizen feels duty bound to do his share in this defense are the constitutional rights secure."
- Albert Einstein

I only wish more citizens understood how true this quote is. We seem to live in age when most of the citizens of the country take the Constitution for granted, so much so that they don't even know what it contains or why.

4 comments:

BernardL said...

The Constitution is one of the most plainly written documents ever created: pure genius. My barf reflex kicks in the moment I hear the phrase 'it's a living document', meaning someone's trying to subvert the Constitution.

Virginia Lady said...

I agree, Bernard. The first time I heard the expression I was totally dumbstruck at its stupidity, and I live outside DC, people say incredibly stupid things all the time.

writtenwyrdd said...

I'm more fond of the quote by de Tocqueville: “In a democracy, the people get the government they deserve.”

Virginia Lady said...

That's a good one as well, writtenwyrdd. Unfortunately, it is equally as true.